Monday, August 15, 2016

LETTING GO

Though Zoë was twenty, we still thought we would see her off when she boarded the Southwest Airlines flight to St. Louis with her cousin, Staci, for a business convention.

So, Wendy and I drove them both to Dallas Love Field with plans to stand in the airport by the window and watch her walk onto the plane, wave goodbye, then watch as the plane taxis down the runway and leaves the ground, disappearing into the clouds.

In high school, way back in the late 60's early 70's, Love Field was a favorite inexpensive date. Pre 9/11, anyone could go into an airport, go anywhere in an airport, right up to the point of actually boarding the plane. We would ride the moving sidewalks, watch people waiting to be carried away to new destinations, and watch plane after plane take off through the windows overlooking the runway.

Wendy and I haven't been on an airplane since 1973. Apparently, things are different now.

We stopped the car at the curb, took their bags out of the car, hugged Zoë goodbye, and drove away. That's right. DROVE AWAY!

New technology allowed Zoë to send us pictures and text messages from her seat on the plane before and up to takeoff.

Not the same.

So, Wendy and I visited a place that hadn't changed, Flagpole Hill. One of our first dates, in 1972, we had ridden 10-speed bicycles and carried a picnic lunch to the wonderful Flagpole Hill, another place for a free date.

So, I mentioned Zoë is twenty now. She really didn't want us to go inside the airport anyway.
I understood.
For Wendy, it was  much more difficult to accept.

I think, we have reached a place in our lives where we have given her everything we can give her in the way of life training, and we have to let her go out on her own to put her in position to exercise those lessons we have been planting, watering, and weeding.
I think she will be fine.

God looks on us as we move through our lives. He never leaves us, but He says, "I have given you everything you need for life and godliness. Remember what you have learned. Remember I am always with you, and that you can hear me anytime you listen for my voice.

Remember, walking in my plans for you will bring you joy.

I know, you will be fine."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment